Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh!bama

It's been more than a month since I last posted something. Work has been crazy and I didn't really get the time to sit down and write. After Obama was sworn in last night(India time)though, I decided I had to make the time.

A picture in today's newspaper caught my eye, a person holding up a poster that read,"We Have Overcome".Barack Obama created history by becoming America's first African-American President. It's a massive step forward but just the beginning. It's wonderful that the stereotype has finally been broken, but at the same time it's not over. Becoming the President is probably only the first hurdle cleared. His origins already pose a threat to his life as white supremacists are not happy with the outcome. While there are millions who are thrilled with the prospect of having Obama lead the country, others aren't too kicked about it.

His presidential speech was awe-inspiring and spell-binding as he spoke of the diversity of people that make the country and the way forward. After George Bush's shaky term at office and at a time when the country is reeling under recession, expectations from the people are high.

I personally am excited to see how things take shape. As a leader of the world's most powerful and influential country, how he runs the US will effect all of us.

2 comments:

Patio Action Pearson said...

It still blows my mind that other people pay attention to what we do here. I suppose it makes sense, but the fact that total strangers feel real passion about our politics is still a crazy thought.

It's crazy, but it's what will hopefully make this administration good for our country and for the world. Thanks for well wishes. We need it.

Tasmai Uppin said...

Yeah, well I just read the newspaper a lot. :)From what I know everyone has there fingers crossed.

He seems like the change the world needs. I also think that he is seriously unbelievably cool!